Big batches of soup are the best this time of year. Especially hearty soups. So, when I did my prepping for week one of the 21- Day Sugar Detox, I knew a stock pot of warm goodness was in order. I gave Adrian two choices, one because I am notoriously indecisive, and two because I like to make sure he has something he likes for work, so he doesn’t make a run for Taco Bell or McDonald’s. The response was a no-brainer for him and he chose cabbage roll soup. He is Ukranian and stuffed cabbage is quite a popular meal in his family, so I gave this recipe the Ukranian name for cabbage rolls, Holubsti. Holubsti traditionally has more rice than meat, but since rice isn’t an option right now, I subbed cauliflower to compensate for the texture and I kept a decent portion of meat for the protein. No one likes a hangry friend!
What you need
- 2 lbs. meatloaf mix
- 1 yellow onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 10 oz. bag shredded cabbage (~ 4 cups)
- 2 cups riced cauliflower
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or more to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. pepper (or more to taste)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes in tomato puree (check for added sugars)
- 4 cups organic chicken stock
- In a large stock pot, brown meatloaf mix with the onion and garlic.
- Drain excess grease and return to pot.
- Add seasoning, riced cauliflower, shredded cabbage, and crushed tomatoes. Stir and cook over medium high, for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let soup simmer for 30 minutes. Enjoy!